[ale] 2 Perl questions ?

Yu, Jerry Jerry.Yu at Voicecom.com
Wed Dec 15 09:26:58 EST 2004

2. you need to program it into a function/sub taking a direntry as its
parameter, inside which you call itself recursively when a item is a
directory
1. initializing the same way you would do elsewhere in the program, "my
$var1 = 1;" before use.
0. I believe there are open-source programs available to do what you try to
do, unless you want to write it for fun.

# -----Original Message-----
# From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org]On Behalf Of
# Courtney Thomas
# Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 10:28 AM
# To: ale at ale.org
# Subject: [ale] 2 Perl questions ?
#
# Purpose:
#
# 	write a small program that will process all files in a
# 		designated dir, which
# contains files and dirs, by examining each 	file entry and
# sums it to a
# total, which is less than some
# arbitrarily entered size, [in this case
# <=650MB since the purpose 	is to aggregate chunks of the
# original dir into
# separate dirs <=650MB for burning to a CD], and if the total <=650MB,
# then, move that entry into the new "burn" dir, and continue until a
# total <=650MB is reached, then stop.
#
# In this way I can take an arbitrary size dir and allocate it to any
# number of burn dirs of <=650MB, then burn 'em.
#
# --------------------------------------------------------------
# -----------
# 2 Problems:
#
# 1-The compiler is complaining about uninitialed variables within a
# "while" loop. How do I properly initialize numeric variables
# within the
# loop ?
#
# 2-I also need to traverse a dir that itself contains dirs, processing
# each file and dir. How do I traverse such a dir such
# that....when a dir
# is encountered it is entered and all the files in it are then
# processed,
# and if necessary drills down through other dirs [howto control depth
# ?]...before returning to the original dir that contained
# files and dirs ?
#
# --------------------------------------------------------------
# ------------