[ale] ALE NW meeting this Thursday!

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 17:14:26 EST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:51:53 -0500, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> I will have the ALE-LISA t-shirts for those interested in purchasing.
> $15 with all proceeds going to a 'still unspecified' open source
> project. (under consideration: Slackware, GIMP, bittorrent)
>
> If you are planning on attending and would like to purchase a t-shirt,
> let me know your size (L, XL, XXL) and I'll be sure to have one for you.
>
> The Next ALE-NW Meeting
>
> We graciously thank Kennesaw State University for providing
> ALE with a place for our
> monthly meetings. Note: The meetings are always on the 3rd Thursday of every
> month at 8:00 pm.
>
> Date: December 16, 2004
> Time: 8:00 PM
> Location: Clendenin Building
> Room: CL 1007
>
> Presenter: Geoffrey Myers
>
> Presentation: Creating a multiboot system with grub.
>
> Geof Myers will take a perfectly useless laptop running
> Windows XP home and install up to three separate Linux
> distributions along side the existing pseudo-OS.  We will
> start with Mandrake 10.1 Official, then Sun Java Desktop
> Release 2 or SuSE 9.2, depending on the outcome of attendee
> voting.  If we have time, we will then install the third OS
> or demonstrate various ways to address necessary
> modifications to the boot loader, again based on attendee
> preferences.
>
> Interesting issues discussed will include modifying the
> boot loader menu, using chroot to assist with fixing a
> trashed loader and various solutions for changing the boot
> loader so it will boot the new operating systems.
>
> Bio: Geof Myers has been working with various flavors of
> UNIX for more than 20 years.  He has been using/playing with
> Linux since 1995. Geof is the president of Myers Consulting
> Inc. which boasts an employee base of 1.
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey

Thinking of grub problems:

I have a server with 2 3ware cards, an adaptec scsi card, and a SIIG
ATA133 controller in it.

It boots fine, but I have had at least one case of data corruption.
(md5sum is correct on original.  bad on copy.)

I think the guilty party is the SIIG card, so I just bought an Adaptec
ATA133 card from Fry's yesterday.

The Adaptec card uses parts/bios/driver provided by SIIG.  (At least
the windows driver is provided by SIIG).

If I replace the SIIG card in my server with the adaptec card, it will not boot.

It stops at "GRUB loading stage2".

This is true if I try to boot from hard disk, or if I try to boot from
the SUSE 9.2 DVD and go in to rescue mode.

I have read the very good description of grub in the SUSE manual, but
I still don't know what is wrong.

Troubleshooting advice is welcome, or if you want I could bring the
machine to your meeting and let everyone have a shot at it.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer