[ale] Controlling network interface order in 2.6 kernel

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Mon Dec 13 15:28:49 EST 2004

Hello,

   I'm upgrading a machine to FC3 that has two ethernet interfaces.
They are coming up in the reverse order compared to the 2.4
kernel. So, the NIC associated with eth0 before is now associated
with eth1 under 2.6. I'd like to control the order if possible. I found
one link that might help,

http://www.xenotime.net/linux/doc/network-interface-names.txt

but I'd rather not go through this painful task of having to rework
all of the interfaces, particularly if I have to reinstall FC3 (I don't
want to have to redo everything again). Does anyone have any
suggestions?

TIA,

Jeff