[ale] Nautilus Craziness

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 11:46:59 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 11:02 -0500, james at sumners.ath.cx wrote:
> As far as I know, it is impossible to disable this. It can be highly
> annoying but I see the reasoning behind it. Take an asf file and rename
> the extension to .avi. Then try to open the file as you have done with
> the bookmarks file. You will get the same error but it will tell you
> that the file is really an asf file instead of an avi and will refuse to
> open the file with the default applicaiton without you going through an
> extra step. This is an effort to prevent people from unknowingly
> executing a malicious file when they think it is a file of a different
> type.

I see that craziness all the time too, although it can be argued that
viewing movies isn't something I do that much, whereas viewing html and
text files is something I do quite often.  I struggle to see how
developers can implement stuff like this with out anyway to
disable/override it as needed.

-Jim P.