[ale] Font encoding in Mozilla

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 11 10:56:02 EST 2004

How do fonts and encodings relate to each other?  I have a installation
of Mozilla that picks up the first font available for use in alphabetic
order.  Either the browser or the webserver serving the page defines a
UTF-8 encoding for the page which displays funny symbols for some
characters.  If I change in the browser the encoding for viewing to
Western ISO-8859-1 then the symbols are resolved into normal
characters.  When printing out of Mozilla, whichever font is the one it
sees first from the font server is what is printed, no matter what I
tell the browser to use in Edit-Preferences.  I still don't understand
the default Sans, Sans-Serif, monospace settings in the
Edit-Preferences-Appearance-Fonts settings page.  I've used the
about:config page in Mozilla to review the current settings but don't
really understand what causes the above behavior.  I fixed the initial
problem of the printed output by disabling all fonts for my system
except fonts that are readable like Courier or Bitstream.  Whichever,
and I think the first available, that Mozilla gets or grabs from the
fontserver is what is used for printing.

Running SuSE 9.0 with patches, Mozilla 1.7.2 with patches.
Thanks,
Dow