[ale] Wild conspiracy theories and rumors...kinda OT

Jonathan Rickman jdr at xcorps.net
Fri Dec 10 17:23:13 EST 2004

1. IBM (the original) exits the PC parket somewhat abruptly.

2. Apple is in bed with IBM. Who would have seen that one coming 10 years
ago? Rumors abound regarding a potential partnership now that IBM is
essentially free from the Wintel burden. More far fetched rumors even hint
at a merger. Apple, being an IBM customer, is sitting pretty. Big Blue wants
Apple to remain successful so they keep buying chips. Apple also happens to
have a pretty nice consumer grade OS for the Power platform.

3. Lenovo is now the third largest PC maker in the world, and their
government (totalitarian by the way) has a serious problem with Microsoft
dominance. They like Linux.

4. Sun's CEO is apparently initiating talks with Lenovo to discuss bundling
the Java Desktop on all those shiny new IBM PCs that Lenovo is now turning
out.

5. A contact at Dell tells me that it is a very real possibility that
Solaris 10 may be offered as an option on servers and workstation beginning
in Q4 2005.

6. HP selling iPods!!!

7. Last night my cat curled up next to my 100lb Doberman and started
purring!!!

Is it just me, or are things starting to look kinda bad for the folks in
Redmond? Industry wide conspiracy? I dunno, but we are definitely witnessing
some things that defy every lesson that the short history of the computing
world has taught us. There is something happening here, but what is is ain't
exactly clear...everybody look what's goin' down.

--
Jonathan