[ale] the printer job that wouldn't die

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Dec 10 11:50:26 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 11:18, James Taylor wrote:
> I've had that happen a number of times.
>
> Stop the printer using Command Center (unless you have better way), then
> run tunelp -r /lp0 (or the correct equivalent device.)
>
> Sometimes I have to clear the /var/spool/cups (files only) and the
> /var/spool/cups/tmp directory to make this work.

Add to this:

Turn off the printer and pull out the parallel port connector (some
Epson dot matrix printer can keep a print job in internal memory just
with the power available from the port connection) for about 30 seconds.

While the printer is off, clean out the /var/spool/cups/ spool file(s).
Turn off cups (/etc/init.d/cups stop), replug the printer and power it
on. Restart cups.