[ale] the printer job that wouldn't die

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Fri Dec 10 11:21:21 EST 2004

I've had that happen a number of times.

Stop the printer using Command Center (unless you have better way), then
run tunelp -r /lp0 (or the correct equivalent device.)

Sometimes I have to clear the /var/spool/cups (files only) and the
/var/spool/cups/tmp directory to make this work.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
678-697-9420

>>>jimmyc at speedfactory.net 12/10/04 10:02 am >>>
I am running CUPS on KDE. This isn't the first time this has happened to
me. I
start a print job and something goes wrong. The printer starts spitting
out
pages with a single line of characters and nothing else. If I try to
kill the
job, there doesn't seem to be anything to kill. I can stop the printer.
But
when it starts again, the pages start spitting out the same way. If I
type
lprm as root, I get:

lprm: Unable to cancel job(s)!

If I try lpq, it doesn't report any jobs in the queue, so there is
nothing I
can kill. I tried killing cupsd. When it starts again, the pages start
spitting out again. The only thing I know to do is to remove the printer
and
reinstall it. Is there any way I can just find this job and kill it?

Ale mailing list
Ale at ale.org