[ale] DNS best practices

Cordell, Ron ron.cordell at sipstorm.com
Fri Dec 10 10:49:08 EST 2004

Hi all,

I was hoping to draw on your expertise to get an idea of some best
practices for DNS.

I'm trying to determine if it is best to have one DNS server, or
multiple DNS servers for an environment. The environment consists of a
few hosts in a DMZ, with many hosts behind a firewall (behind the DMZ).
The hosts behind the firewall are divided up into vLANs, and are in
several subdomains. Does it make sense to put a single DNS server in the
DMZ, and use that, or would you recommend putting the server elsewhere?
If machine resources are scarce, I don't want to have to create a lot of
DNS servers.

I appreciate any suggestions.

-ronc