[ale] Need Tractor Feed Dot Matrix printer

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Dec 9 11:36:12 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 11:22, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I'm that ancient.  That's what I was hacking on starting at the age of
> 13.

Ditto. Megs of ram was an unobtainable luxury. My first exposure was
industrial process testing computers. They had basically a teletype
terminal and the final testing output was on paper tape. Ugh. There was
a small display that held a 1 line buffer so the line could be verified
before entering the command. I never had to boot of these as once it
came up, noone, and I mean NO ONE, wanted to have to restart it.
Apparently it was quite an ordeal loading paper tape instruction sets
and flipping toggle switches to get the system in the right working
mode.

And people complain now about how hard it is to load Linux. Ha! My last
Fedora Core 3 install consisted of: pop in the DVD, reboot, select new
install, select minimal, hit enter, go drink coffee, remove DVD, reboot,
set IP address, load firewall scripts, bill client.