[ale] [OT] Voicepulse question

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Wed Dec 8 09:44:47 EST 2004

On 7 Dec 2004, at 19:01, Geoffrey wrote:
> Aditya Srinivasan wrote:
>>>
>>> ??? dark addressess ???
>> I've always thought that IP addresses behind a NAT were called 'dark'
>> ... since you cant see them from the outside.
>> But a very quick search on google does not seem to indicate any such
>> nomenclature.
>> Will have to think about where I learnt this :)
>
> Private ip is the terminology I've always seen.

RFC 1918 space is the most common reference to such space among network
engineers I've seen. "Private ip" space is somewhat ambiguous and is
sometimes confused with RIR allocations to private industries. "Dark
addresses" could lead one to believe they are assigning currently
unallocated netblocks to customers, which is the first thought that
crossed my mind when I heard it.