[ale] Debian 2.6.8/Plextor dvd help please

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Mon Dec 6 12:07:53 EST 2004

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 03:57:40PM -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> > dmesg | grep hdc returns empty :-\ In fact I can't even find any
> > reference to the drive in dmesg. At this point all I am interested in
> > doing is being able to mount the drive to view the files on a cd or play
> > music cd's on it.  I can worry with how to burn stuff later if this
> > makes the process any easier.
>
> If dmesg does not show the device at all, then there is no way to access
> it from any OS.
>
> Double check the cables and device selection jumpers and try the burner
> in another machine. If possible, try another device on that same cable
> at that same position to see if the device is dead or if the cable has
> issues.

Yes it hit me later that the ide bus driver might not be loading however
discover identifies it and does load it. I can "borrow" a drive out of
me girlfriends computer later this week. It will probably be a few days
before I can dig back into this issue. Thanks to all for the input and
ideas. I had reached the frustration point where the brain ceased to use
reason.

Later,

Jim Seymour