[ale] Debian 2.6.8/Plextor dvd help please

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Dec 5 15:59:59 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 14:57, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 02:02:10PM -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 13:57, Jim Seymour wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Just got a shiny new Plextor dvd writer and cannot find it to mount it
> > > correctly. I have looked around and have not been able to find an
> > > answer. This is a system with scsi hard and tape drives and the new dvd
> > > writer and floppy on the ide system. The kernel is a 2.6.8 Debian stock.
> > > So far I have not been able to determine what device the dvd writer is
> > > using. The usual suggestions of hdc (It is the master on the secondary
> > > channel) have not found the drive. I can see it identified in the bios
> > > boot messages so i guess it is connected correctly. Any advice or
> > > reading suggestions appreciated :-)
> >
> > Does "dmesg | grep hdc" show anything?
> > >

> Thanks James,
>
> dmesg | grep hdc returns empty :-\ In fact I can't even find any
> reference to the drive in dmesg. At this point all I am interested in
> doing is being able to mount the drive to view the files on a cd or play
> music cd's on it.  I can worry with how to burn stuff later if this
> makes the process any easier.

If dmesg does not show the device at all, then there is no way to access
it from any OS.

Double check the cables and device selection jumpers and try the burner
in another machine. If possible, try another device on that same cable
at that same position to see if the device is dead or if the cable has
issues.

Hardware problems can be a real PIA.