[ale] OT: solaris on a laptop?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Dec 3 14:10:33 EST 2004

Jonathan Rickman wrote:
>> Thanks for the warning as I was planning on a multi-boot box
>
> The partition ID collision btw Linux and Solaris has been fixed in
> Solaris Express 11/04 aka beta 8 aka build 72.

Well, I just tried to install it last night on an older box, got as the
gui test and it locked up. :(  I don't know that I'll be spending
anymore time on it any time soon.

>> Again, the insights are helpful.  I might shoot for a standalone
>> box for now to see what works and what doesn't.
>

> There is a laptop compatability list at:
> http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/sx/systems/views/laptop.html

Interesting, I'll have to check out the hp pavilion, I just picked up an
hp pavilion ze4901us, have to see if they are similar.  Just noted the
on listed is a PIV, mine is a lowly celeron.  I don't know, maybe I'll
look at it again this weekend in my free time (both minutes of it...)

> Although it is a very short list, you can piece together enough info
> to get some idea whether you will have any success. Solaris 10 is
> rapidly becoming one of my favorite operating systems. Once project
> Janus makes it into the release, it may become my primary desktop OS.

On x86?

--
Until later, Geoffrey