[ale] Linux PIM

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Thu Dec 2 19:14:43 EST 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 09:43 am, Jason Vinson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We're looking for a good Linux PIM app that supports ICS sharing
> (publish/subscribe) and alarms (email, popup, etc), and I thought I'd
> ask you all what you prefer.  I'd like to stay away from Evolution and
> KOrganizer if possible, but I'm open to using them if I have to.
>
> TIA,
> Jason

I don't know of any PIM that runs independent of the windowing environment and
also offers pop-up alarms. You need to remember to start the program if
you're using Sunbird or something like it. On KDE, at least, you can run the
alarm daemon without starting up any component of Kontact (the PIM). Also,
when the daemon is running, there is an icon in the sys tray that you can
click any time you want to see the calendar. I like the way KDE has broken
down all the components of the PIM so that you can run them separately or
together. Plus, I use Kontact to exchange appointments and to-do's with Lotus
Notes at work and it does that almost seamlessly, because of its ics support.