[ale] Earthlink vs. Send Mail

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Thu Dec 2 16:26:08 EST 2004

You can use your own server, but you don't need sendmail to send from YOUR
computer.  If you need the mail to actually go out on the web, you can use
Earthlink's smtp server, the way Mike Terzo recommended:

On Thursday 02 December 2004 02:50 pm, Mike Terzo wrote:
> Earthlink, blocks outgoing SMTP.  You can use your local sendmail server
> if you like, but you will have to configure it to use a smart relay to
> send it to an earthlink smtp server.
>
> in your sendmail.cf add
>
> DSsmtp.earthlink.net
> It's been a while since I've used my own smtp, but you should have no
> problem with incoming connections to that port, so you should be able to
> receive mail just fine.
>
> --mike terzo

Otherwise, if you're just sending from one account on the same machine to
another (i.e. from "root" to "jay") then you will need to configure sendmail
to only work within your private LAN, and not mail outside the LAN.  I don't
know anything about configuring sendmail really so I can't help you on that.

For Postfix, all I did to make it use Earthlink's smtp server instead of
sending mail directly from my IP was to add the following line to my main.cf
file for Postfix:

relayhost = smtp.earthlink.net

So, basically, you either need to make sendmail use smtp.earthlink.net (or
whatever the smtp server is for Earthlink for you), or you need sendmail to
not try and send mail out past the LAN onto the net.  If it's not sending it
oustide your LAN, Earthlink won't be blocking it because it never gets
outside your router.

Hope that helps,
-Jay