[ale] Earthlink vs. Send Mail

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Thu Dec 2 14:55:00 EST 2004

I still relay all of my outgoing mail through speedfactory's outbound
mail server, just 'cuz if I were running an ISP, that's what I'd want to
more easily control botted windows spam factories.

BTW: My home server has been absolutely clubbed twice lately by an
unknown number of spam bots that don't seem to understand mandatory TLS
authentication. They try to relay through me, get challenged to
authenticate, the connection closes, and then they try again. This
results in upwards of 100 connections a *second*. Stopping sendmail for
about 5 minutes seems to convince whatever it is to go bother someone else.

Unfortunately, the sheer number connections seem to confuse my cheapo
little linksys nat firewall appliance, and the last time, the maillog
filled up so fast it filled up my /var partition (resulting in a wifely
"why can't I send email" call from home that day).

Anyone else seen this phenomena? Possible solutions I've considered are
firing up whatever the default firewall is that comes with FC2, or
buying a linksys WRT54G and throwing alternate firmware on it (neither
of which I'm hugely keen on, since its a PITA that will take away from
Call of Duty time).

Mike

Jerald Sheets wrote:
> Yep.  Ditto that.
>
> Speedfactory has been one of the best ISP's I've ever had.
>
> A friend of mne and I have always said "Gimme some IP's, some bandwidth, and
> leave me the hell alone" and Speedfactory does just that.  I can do whatever
> I wish, as long as I'm not breaking the law, and that's just right for me.
>

> Jerald M. Sheets jr.
> Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
> (404) 293-8762
>
> **********