[ale] OT: Driving in snow...

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Dec 1 22:43:08 EST 2004

I spent 10 years in the Bawston Suburbs with the worst possible snow car.
Suggestions:

  1. If you get a rental car, be sure to pay for full insurance coverage
     so that a wreck won't affect your regular insurance.

  2. Driving in a New England snow is far harder than the inch or so we
     get here.  I recommend against it.  If you must, practice in an empty
     parking lot and decide if you still want to do it.  If it's a heavy
     snow, wait at least 3-6 hours for the snow trucks to plow and sand
     the roads.  Plan on going about 2/3 to 1/2 of normal speed, if that.

  3. No, the rental car companies do not supply chains and probably supply
     the cheapest tires available.

  4. If it is a severe snow, you are better off taking a taxi to the
     bus or train station and using those to get near your people in
     Conn. and a taxi from the bus or train station to them.  It is
     well-worth the extra cost to avoid a wreck and possibly hurting
     yourself or others.  In bad snows I preferred a $50 taxi ride
     to my clients rather than a wreck.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]