[ale] OT: Driving in snow...

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Dec 1 19:15:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> Speaking of which, I'm going to Mass. for an X-Mas party in a few
> weeks.  I'm going to be driving a rental car into Mass from CT. and I
> was wondering if Rental Cars up there have chains in the trunk and/or
> snow tires.
>
> I've driven in snow here in ATL, but never in real snow like up in New
> England.
>
> Anyone have any pointers?

Some excellent pointers already, and a lot of it may be something related
to good driving in the first place.

All the usual disclaimers apply, as these are really only my own training.

Keep your windows clear. Period. What you don't see can hurt you. If you
can see it, you might have a chance. You will see some people with a
little spot cleared on their windshield to see through, and I beleive them
to be idiots. If the car insists on fogging up - drop the windows or
possibly get off the road. Keep the windshield washer fluid topped up, and
replace wiper blades if they seem the least bit worn (not terribly likely
on a rental). Your ability to see, and see clearly, is a necessary but not
sufficient requirement to plan ahead.

Get the snow off the car before moving, as noted by somebody else. Nobody
needs the distraction of being hit with a roof load of snow.

Don't leave the car idleing to "warm up" while you wait inside. The car
drives off perfectly well without heat in the passenger comparment and
somebody else at the wheel. (That really should be in the "Duh!" category)

_If_ you find yourself in snow, and see someplace to practice like a
parking lot, I'd go for it gently. Better to be familiar with the feel of
the car as it gets close to out-of-control ahead of time, and some feel
for getting back under control. Nothing like cutting 30 miles of donuts,
but a few hard, or even near panic braking attempts to know how the car
wants to react.

Start slow, break slow, follow at a distance, and generally take your
time. Until ice gets down below 20 degrees F or so, you don't want to
change anything while you are on it. Since you may not know, take it easy.
(OTOH, ice below -10 or so seems to be a pretty good, dry pavement. Doubt
you will see those sorts of temperatures tho...) Sudden changes are what
cause much loss of control, so plan ahead. The concept of "sudden changes"
on some bridge decks in some weather seems to include any change, so drive
relaxed, and smoothly by policy.

As an aside: my graduate advisor was driving my car (I was tired) to a
conference when he found an icy patch in the middle of Pennsylvania. We
did a few 360's before we got settled back down. Nothing quite like waking
up going backwards at expressway speeds! However, the point of the story
is that there can be treachery on the road. You want to prepare in depth,
in advance.

Steer into a skid/slid. Again, something which takes practice.

I have seen too many people feel that they can turn horsepower into
effective traction. Not going to happen. Another error often made is that
just because you can get the car into motion, you can get through what is
ahead. Sometimes they get stopped by hitting something bigger and more
solid than their car. My personal feeling (not that I always followed it)
is to get off the road as soon as you entertain doubts as to your ability
to stop in a hurry, or the car starts making unplanned movements. Better
yet, quit driving about 10 miles earlier.

I've pontificated too much, perhaps sounded much too dire. I find snow
driving frequently rather fun for limited periods of time, as the driver
must pay attention, must have some skills in hand, and is often a great
training experience.

I'll wish you a wonderful trip. And should it snow on you on the highway,
hopefully you can relax, and let conditions teach you a thing or two about
your driving.