[ale] OT: Driving in snow...

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Wed Dec 1 17:47:52 EST 2004

I believe chains are illegal in Mass and CT. It doesn't matter. Any
Interstate, Federal Highway, or State Highway in New England (well,
except maybe extreme upstate Maine) are going to be plowed adequately to
be passable in all but the worst weather.

The rules of thumb for driving in a snowstorm up there are pretty
similar to driving in heavy rain here: keep your speed under control,
keep extra separation from drivers in front of you, and be aware that
you might hit a slick spot here or there. Keep an ear out for road
advisories if the weather is icky, just in case (especially in case of
an ice storm, which can happen in CT and MASS, and is just as dangerous
there as it would be here).

Two other tips: if you find yourself on an unplowed road, that's not
necessarily a bad thing, just drive slow and easy. Check wheels and
tires for snow and ice buildup before setting out if you have been
driving in snow. And turn into the spin! (If you have followed other
advice, you shouldn't get into a full out spin, but it could happen).

Finally: something every Atlantan needs to hear: clear the snow off your
car! This includes the roof, hood, trunk, bumpers, etc. Its bad form to
drive around with snow built up on top of your car (where it tends to
billow off at speed and blind people behind you). Any good rental car
company in the winter up there will include a scraper/brush tool.

Mike

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307
Landline: 404-653-1070