[ale] Introduction

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Dec 1 16:09:15 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Geoffrey wrote:

> Jason Fritcher wrote:
> > Dow Hurst wrote:
> >
> >> Jason,
> >> Welcome to the ALE group!
> >
> > Thanks! :)
<<snip linux and reasonable stuff>>

> Yeah, wait till the first snow and you see on these idiots on the road.
>     I've never understood that since probably 50% of Atlanta consists of
> relocated Yankees, like myself.

I've kinda noticed that myself - although I'm up in Charlotte. "Up here"
(where the heck is "Up" anyway?), I think we have similar rates of bumper
cars during a good rain as Boston has for the first snow, based upon
living in New England twenty odd years ago. During a snow storm, go over
to a resturant on a busy corner, get something warm, and _watch_ the
locals sliding through the intersection. Them as are walking, seem to fall
down a lot. Great entertainment for the sadistically inclined...

As to reasons; I've got some guesses and no idea how to test them. I do
think many times the Atlanta/Charlotte/southeastern snow fall is somewhat
slipryer(sp?) than many northern locations because the ground is much
closer to freezing, and the snow tends to be wetter. Also, low traction
driving seems to need regular practice - once or twice every year or two
just isn't sufficient practice. The arrogance of "I come from the north
and I understand snow driving" plays a part of it also. And finally, I
suspect most drivers are in too much of a hurry to stop and think, or even
to leave space ahead to stop.

YMMV of course