[ale] KMail 1.7 on KDE3.3 Looking Good!!!

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 28 12:53:20 EDT 2004

I was trying out KMail 1.7 and saw it has wizards for setting up Spam filters
and anti-virus tools. Pretty cool! It was a little harder setting those up on
earlier versions - and lately I've been relying more on BellSouth's spam
filters.

Anyway - thought I'd take the wizards for a drive. I installed SpamAssassin
and bogofilter. Ran the wizard - and the tools were integrated. No messing
around. No goofiness. Some of the Spam BellSouth misses (not much)
SpamAssassin is getting. You gotta like that!

Then I figured I'd try Anti-Virus. The wizards supports a couple Anti-Vir
tools, ClamAV and F-Prot among them. I figured I'd give ClamAV a run. Then I
went to an e-mail virus test site and sent about 25 e-mails to my address.
BellSouth picked up 22 of them - didn't let them through at all (that's
pretty good in and of itself). Of the three that snuck through, ClamAV picked
up two and tossed them in the Trash folder. One got through to my inbox. Not
bad.

For you tech folks with your own e-mail server, I'm sure you have some serious
toolsets. But for a basic desktop user, the wizards and ease of setup make
getting Anti-virus tools and Anti-Spam tools extremely simple. Give them a
try! They're pretty cool.

Bruce (please don't try and exercise my anti-virus and spam tools. Let's not
get carried away here)