[ale] mail headers question

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 26 20:34:46 EDT 2004

Stephan Uphoff wrote:

>>My email provider is, it's mind(less)spring who's got the problem.
>

> Ahhh .. now we are getting somewhere.
>
> I assume that you are using smtpauth.earthlink.net as your
> smtpserver?
> And "Yourfullemailaddress at provider" as outgoing user name?
> And use "username + password" is enabled on outgoing smtp?

No, I don't use earthlink, in this case the provider happens to be
1and1.com.  I use speedfactory for the majority of my services.

> If this is the case you should think about calling tech support ;-)

I did contact 1and1.  But the problem is not them.  The receiving email
address was the mindspring address, not the sender.  It's mindspring
who's sending the thing back, apparently based on the headers.

>>Further, the client should not be 'publishing' an internal ip address.
>>Particularily when it is nat'd at the firewall.
>

> Not much choice if they wanted a clean RFC conform implementation.

I checked the rfc, I must have missed it.  I don't understand why the
mail headers should compromise the nat'ing.

> But the reverse lookup of your IP address has the look&feel of a dynamic
> address (same here :-( )

BUT this makes no sense.  I'm doing what they want me to do, using my
isp mail server rather than my own.  I can use my own and that get's
through.

But when I send email from localhost, it doesn't place my static in the
headers, but my domain, which is 3times25.net, which will properly
resolve. The problem is that mozilla is sticking the internal nat'd
address in the headers.  Personally, I don't think this should be done.
  It's complicated by the fact that the email address in question is not
of my domain, it's a different domain.  If I send email from
esoteric at 3times25.net I don't have the problem, it's only when I send
email via a different domain when I have the problem.  The other domain
is a valid domain, so reverse lookup works.  The problem stems from the
nat'd address showing up in the headers.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995