[ale] Default Soundcard in SuSE 9.1 Pro

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Aug 25 15:23:14 EDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Ryan Williams wrote:

> > I've had similar problems, and it had to do with some of the other
> > volume settings in the configuration.  Have you tried turning up all
> > the
> > settings in the volume screen?
>
> Yeah, it wasn't that. I fixed it. The envy24control app wouldn't run
> because it was only seeing the NVidia soundcard on id 0. It was kinda
> dumb, but I had to delete the NVidia driver so that the Audiophile
> would be id 0 (fine since I'm not using it anyway). After that, I could
> get into the mixer and make it work. MP3Blaster is playing fine out of
> it now at least. Still seems like there should be a way to toggle
> between various installed cards though. *shrug*

I think there is a way to drive more than one sound card with ALSA ( and
the 2.6 kernel), but I don't think it is either obvious or well
documented. At least I haven't found anything at my level.

I ran into something similar with an experimental Fedora Core 2 install,
which I "fixed" by disabling the onboard sound card via the bios. While
mumbling around, I saw something in a file under the Documentation subdir
of the kernel sources which indicated ALSA will support several sound
cards at the same time, but there is an entry into /etc/modules.conf or
/etc/modprobe.conf (forgetful here, sorry) to allow more than one card.

(aside) If anybody happens to run into a modestly idiot level set of
instructions as to configuring ALSA to run multiple cards, I would
appreciate it if you post a url or other pointer here. Thanks.