[ale] Default Soundcard in SuSE 9.1 Pro

Ryan Williams ryan at jimmyether.com
Wed Aug 25 13:14:07 EDT 2004

This is probably a total newbie question, but I am having the hardest
time configuring my sound with SuSE 9.1 Pro. I have a PCI Audiophile
24/96 card in addition to my stock card on the ABit Mobo. I want the
Audiophile card to be the default soundcard for the system sound so
that I can play my MP3 library out of it. When I run YaST and go to
Hardware->Soundcard, it detects both cards and correctly identifies the
Audiophile card as using the Envy24 chip driver. I can even go to
"Volume" and hit "Test" and hear sound perfectly. However, I can find
no way to make my system sound play out of that card.

I looked into the SuSE user documentation and it references
configuration options that SuSE isn't giving me in YaST. I even tried
to run the Envy24 Mixer via the command line (envy24control &) and it
told me that it could not run using an Nivida chipset... which also
leads me to believe that the whole system is still looking toward the
built-in soundcard.

I know there must be something simple I am missing here. Any help is
appreciated!

Thanks!

Ryan