[ale] Troubleshooting a USB-Attached disk

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 24 12:46:51 EDT 2004

I purchased a Seagate 40Gig harddrive new in box. I also purchased a CompUSA
USB carrier supporting 3.5" disk drives. Figured by putting the 2 together,
I'd be in hog heaven. Didn't quite work that way.

I connected the Seagate 40 Gig drive to the IDE interface on the CompUSA
carrier, then connected via a USB port to both my Win2K laptop and my SuSE
9.0 desktop. Neither saw the hard drive.

To start trouble-shooting, would I yank the drive out of the USB carrier and
pop it in the desktop for kicks and grins? Where would I start to make sure
the disk drive is good?