[ale][OT] 08.20.04 on pbs... emphasis on it jobs going ===> u sa

Bob Evans bobevans19 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 04:53:10 EDT 2004

I've participated in this discussion & others over the
past 3 years. Here's my thoughts.

The H1B visa holders that are brought in to take IT
jobs are breaking the spirit, if not the letter of the
law. They are only supposed to be able to work in this
country if qualified US IT resourses are unavailable.
That doesn't wash if I have to train them for 6
months... ie: I'm qualified.

Offshoring: One way street. I am not allowed to move
to Hyderbad for $10K/year and program. Believe me, I'd
do it tomorrow. $10K over there is a house/car/and
servants... I am not allowed to work in India because
I don't have a passport from a former British colony.
(Technically I do, US was once a British colony)
So it isn't "globalization". Or xenophobia. Or any of
the other cr*p the ITAA spouts.

Its money. Period. 3rd world programmers will work
here for 32K/year. I can't do that. They will work in
their country for 7-10K. I would. But they won't let
me in.

I respectfully disagree with Bob about not doing
business with IBM, HP, et al. They are doing business
on a global level. No one complained when the subject
was laptops: almost all are made offshore.

I don't have answers yet. The real answer SHOULD be
(if I ruled the world) make it attractive for these
folks in India & China & Vietnam to start the next
Microsoft, or HP, or IBM. Compete. Advertise.

I'm working on an image project at work. We need a
distributed product that repairs check images. Every
vendor we've dealt with uses technology developed in
Isreal. Those guys have that niche. That's the model I
think will work. Devop a specialty & dominate your
market.

But don't steal my job.

Later.....

=====
Bob Evans        bobevans19 at yahoo.com   (read weekly...)
alternate        reevans at bbandt.com     (read daily M-F)
704 562-7166 mobile
704 954-3415 office
704-882-6214 home...last resort, please

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.