[ale] OT: Well some of it. THE PAIN OF DIAL-UP

Ryan Williams ryan at jimmyether.com
Sat Aug 21 20:59:37 EDT 2004

>> Well,  MY DSL is with earthsink is down again.  Tech support wants me
>> to call Bellsouth to do a NID check and then call them back once that
>> is done.
>
> Woah, your ISP want's you to do their job?  That should be their job
> not yours.

Yeah, and I'm surprised they said that. I've been fighting with Elink
about my DSL connection for weeks now trying to track down why I get
dropped every 3 or so hours (I think the old modem they sent me years
ago is locking up). Anyway, once the case was escalated, they contacted
BellSouth while I was on hold with them and initiated the NID check,
which only took about 5 minutes.

Not to say I haven't been pissed with their service. They have lost
several case IDs, hung up on me when transferring calls SEVERAL times,
and been generally clueless (though polite). I've already got one foot
out the door with them.

That Speakeasy line without telephone service sounds good. The only
reason we have our phone line is because of the DSL. Those of you
trying to set it up, please let the list know how it goes and what
speeds you are getting (for what price).

Ryan