[ale] Dosemu help requested

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Thu Aug 19 20:34:01 EDT 2004

Jim,

	It sounds like you're trying to install before you get into dosemu,
rather than starting dosemu, and then installing.  You may also need to
setup a redirect to your CD-ROM (/dev/cdrom) do d:\ (you can do this via
your dosemu/autoexec.bat file I believe).  I untarred / installed dosemu
in /usr/local (i.e. /usr/local/dosemu), and the users who need it have a
symlink to it in their ~/bin directories (and dosemu starts from their
.bash_profile, so they have no idea it's not their DOS box anymore B-),
but that's another post).  Anyway, here's what I'd do:

  - It sounds like you've got dosemu installed, but to be complete,
install dosemu (skip this if you already have)
  - Modify my autoexec.bat (for me, it's in /usr/local/dosemu/freedos)
to include a link to /dev/cdrom as d:\
  - Insert and mount your Doom CD in the CD ROM
  - start dosemu (after the brief little disclaimer, should dump you at
a c:\ prompt)
  - run the install.bat script
  - If it still says that directories don't exist, see if you can see
which ones, and create them (in dosemu).  Also, make sure that your
userid has permissions to create directories in your dosemu directory
(so that the files can be installed).  Since I've never done it, I can't
guarantee that it'll work, but this will hopefully get you started.  In
the meantime, I'm looking around for an MS DOS game that I can install
on a *nix box via dosemu just for the heck of it B-).

Nathan J. Underwood
Cyber Tech Cafe' <><
http://www.cybertechcafe.net