[ale] Interface dropping packets, how to fix safely?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 19 06:02:56 EDT 2004

Dow Hurst wrote:
> A "sync;init6" fixes the problem immediately.  With hardly any traffic
> for a couple of days after the long transfer that caused the problem, it
> still was painfully erratic and slow.  The reboot fixed the problem and
> the interface is fast again.

It could be that the reboot permitted the nic to cool down enough to
regain it's sanity.  Although the machine likely never shutdown
completely (assuming a reboot), the nic was reset and was not
functioning for a short period of time.  I'd keep an eye on it and if it
acts up again, replace it as previously suggested.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995