[ale] If you're on Bellsouth DSL, I recommend changing providers.

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Wed Aug 18 12:29:24 EDT 2004

What's the major problem?: I own my own domain. My email comes to my
address at that domain. I do this for 2 reasons: 1. mike at tyderia.net is
a whole lot cooler than something like mmichael453 at bellsouth.net. 2.
when I decide to use my choice as a consumer and switch providers, I can
take my email address with me.

To make this work for me, I have to have that mail delivered somewhere.
I have the choice of paying another third part to catch it so I can read
it, or having the mail directed to my host connected to the internet. In
fact, I do both (so that I have a backup mx to catch mail when my
primary host is down). In general, this works well, since I can use the
host I control to filter spam and virii, and can read my mail via an ssh
connection to a shell from anywhere in the world.

Yes, there are other alternatives to this solution that may or may not
work as well, including webmail solutions and 3rd party hosting, but for
the amount of control I get, the overall cost of the solution to me, and
  the benefits of having a 'portable' email address, I've found over the
last many years that this works best.

Now, I'm a responsible systems administrator, and I run a secure relay.
I have sendmail forwarding my mail through bellsouth's mail server (so
they can see easily if they want what my volume of mail is, and for that
matter what the content of my outbound mail is if they really want). I
suspect, since my volume of inbound mail through their system is very
close to 0 (really only the spam ^H^H^H^H^H informative messages about
bellsouth new services they'd like to sell me), that compared to the
average zombied windows box, my actual costs to them are lower than the
average. Add to that that I'm not running a warez site on port 80, etc.
and I'm almost no trouble to the support department, and I'm paying for
their most expensive service (and using their bundled long distance,
complete choice plan, etc), and I'd think that I'm exactly the sort of
customer they want, and a profitable one at that.

I don't care if they want to cut off outbound port 25. I think that's
more than sensible, and I applaud them for it, and I suspect many of the
other customers unhappy with this would agree. Cutting off inbound port
25 (and the ports for Secure IMAP, secure POP, and secure SMTP, but not
their clear text equivalents) is just annoying. And doing so with no
customer notification, and technically vapid after the fact
"explanation" is inexcusable. Fortunately, since I've got a portable
email address, switching isn't all that painful, so I've got
speedfactory working on that for me.

Unsurprisingly, there has already been some phone company red tape on my
switch: "well, you line doesn't say its certified for 3.0 megabit", says
Darryl. "Huh, that's odd, I have it now from the phone company", says me...

Mike

Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> [...]

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307