[ale] OT: Linksys WRT54G vs. WRT54GS

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Mon Aug 16 11:45:06 EDT 2004

>Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:17:30 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "John Wells" <jb at sourceillustrated.com>
>To: ale at ale.org
>Subject: [ale] OT: Linksys WRT54G vs. WRT54GS

[...snip...]

>I bought the WRT54G, but am considering returning and getting the WRT54GS,
>if all it is is a repackaged WRT54G with new firmware.
>
>Does anyone have the dirt on the WRT54GS?  I've learned with Linksys that
>one can never assume anything from the product code...they change chipsets
>and internals quite a bit behind the scenes.  Also, is there any benefit
>to owning the WRT54GS if you don't have other Speedbooster capable
>devices?  The box states there is, but I'm doubtful.
>
>Any info you can provide will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>John

Also be aware that the WRT54G doesn't work with some
Ethernet cards - yes, some kind of *hardware* issue. :(
I posted a message to this list back around the 1st of this
year (January/February) and it should be in the archives,
just look for WRT54G in the subject.  I don't know about
the WR54GS but I would assume it uses at least very similar
hardware in that part of it which is a switch.

-kc