[ale] Local electric/datacom supply retail stores?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Aug 15 19:04:44 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 17:47, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Can PCI handle the full speed of a 10Gb card?

Need to use PCI-X bus for 10 Gb ethernet.

66MHz*32 bits = 2.112 Gb. This is the absolute flat out MAX the PCI bus
can push.

PCI-X:
4.3 GB/s=34.4 Gb/s = x3 10 Gb ethernet cards = $3700-$4700 EACH!!
(http://www.small-tree.com/10Gb_order.htm
and
http://www.programmersparadise.com/Product.pasp?txtCatalog=Paradise&txtCategory=&txtProductID=ZHI+D57706)

{NOTE: The smalltree site has a 4 port Gigabit adapter for the PC that
is Linux supported :)}

The Peripheral Component Interface [PCI-X] addendum is an enhancement to
the current 64 bit 66MHz PCI bus specification. The minimum clock speed
for PCI-X is 66MHz [PCI-X 66]. Additional bus speeds include: PCI-X 133,
PCI-X 266 and PCI-X 533 providing up to 4.3GBps [PCI-X 1066 in the
works]
"http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_PCI_X.html"