[ale] Local electric/datacom supply retail stores?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Aug 15 09:45:20 EDT 2004

Chris Woodfield wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any local electric/datacom supply retail establishments that
> one would recommend (other than Radio Shack)? I'm looking for a place
> that sells things like cable, tools, jacks and punchdown blocks, cable
> testers, etc.

As for the tools you mention, Home Depot has all of these.  I know Ack
Radio was/is the place for electronics and electrical goodies, I would
assume they would stock the same in the datacom area, but you'd better
call them first.

> I'm asking because I'm about to do a Cat5e cable pull in my house, and
> I'd like to be able to do it as professionally as possible.
>
> Also, how much would one expect to pay for a 500 foot reel of Cat6? Home
> Depot has a Cat5e reel for $40, I'm wondering if it's worth the extra
> cost to go with Cat6, whatever that extra cost may be...

Can't help you on the price, but based on previous experience, get the
1000' reel.  It's about 1.5 the price of the 500 and you'll be suprised
how much you'll use at times running your cable.

> No mail-order please...I need this stuff by Monday at the latest, as I'm
> coordinating the cable pull alongside an unexpected plumbing job. Better
> make the most of having holes in the drywall...

Go to Home Depot then.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995