[ale] Local electric/datacom supply retail stores?

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 00:40:34 EDT 2004

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:20:22 -0400, Chris Woodfield
<rekoil at semihuman.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any local electric/datacom supply retail establishments that
> one would recommend (other than Radio Shack)? I'm looking for a place
> that sells things like cable, tools, jacks and punchdown blocks, cable
> testers, etc.
>
> I'm asking because I'm about to do a Cat5e cable pull in my house, and
> I'd like to be able to do it as professionally as possible.
>
> Also, how much would one expect to pay for a 500 foot reel of Cat6?
> Home Depot has a Cat5e reel for $40, I'm wondering if it's worth the
> extra cost to go with Cat6, whatever that extra cost may be...
>
> No mail-order please...I need this stuff by Monday at the latest, as
> I'm coordinating the cable pull alongside an unexpected plumbing job.
> Better make the most of having holes in the drywall...
>
> TIA,
>
> -Chris

Cable Depot in Norcross has this kind of stuff.  Sometimes not the
best price, but usually you can find everything you need there
especially if you need quantity. 770-564-2323.  If you can't find it
there then MicroCenter is the next best place.  I just bought a new
crimper (rj45 and rj11) with cable stripper and some ends for $30 at
MC. They also regularly have deals on patch cables.

Actually what I would do is call up Cable Depot, ask the prices on all
the gear, go to MC and get everything that you can and then go to
Cable Depot for what they don't have at MC.

Sometimes the packs of cable you see at stores like MC are stranded
when you can get solid for cheaper somewhere else.  Solid is the way
to go if you're making cable runs between a patch panel and wall
jacks.