[ale] certification(s)

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Aug 13 11:27:30 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 10:50, Preston Boyington wrote:
> I have decided that I want to start getting my Linux certifications.  Although they won't help me directly with my profession (CADD) I am thinking of doing it more for "myself" anyway.  I know there are some on the list that apparently give/host the exams at their business, so I was wondering if they wouldn't mind filling me in on what I would need to do.
>
> Due to my location (South-East Alabama) and my work I wouldn't be able to attend a regular "class", but could possibly take time for a couple day seminar (if needed).
>
> That said, from what I understand the LPI exam would be where I need to start.  Anyone mind telling me if this is correct and if so, whom do I need to contact for more information?

LPI is a great, generic Linux certification. It soft-focuses on RedHat
style and Debian style setups.

The RedHat certification is (<duh!>) very RedHat specific. The knowledge
depth required to pass the RHCT is about the level of the LPI Level I.
The RHCE is a quite a bit harder than LPI II. I don't think LPI III is
out yet and RedHat just announced their RHSA (System Architect) program.
LPI3 is supposed to be geared toward the "System Architect" level of
understanding (which means knowing much of the internals of kernel
modules, detailed knowledge SysVInit internals, scripting, everything
about networking and IPTables, database usage . Everything that is
installed by default on a RedHat server installation.)

Have fun! Get some old machines, randomly install weird packages and
make them all play nicely together for practice.

A final note: The RHCE test have a practical section where you must fix
a broken box. LPI I&II is all pencil and paper. (FWIW, I missed LPI II
by 1 point. I don't know enough of Debian's apt system yet.)