[ale] Yes, you can hack up a reiser file system!

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 12 09:14:07 EDT 2004

I popped a machine in my 15 year old son's room a few weeks ago. Did the
"never shut it off by hitting the power switch" talk. Well, he couldn't start
it up yesterday, just hung in the middle of the boot sequence.

Booted off a Knoppix CD. Mounted the hard disk to look at it. Unmounted it and
did a "reiserfsck /dev/hda2 --check". Hmmm, return code of 2, seriously
hacked up file system. Did the "reiserfsck /dev/hda2 --rebuild-tree" and
crossed fingers.

Back up and running. Phew!!! I've been doing backups on my main desktop, but
haven't yet set up backups on that machine. Think it's time to try Mondo on
Debian Testing. Just have to figure out NFS. Ouch. Think I'll back up his
desktop to the main desktop using NFS, and continue backing up the main
machine to tape.

So, moral of the story:
Don't hit the power switch!!!
Learn those file system test and repair commands (I leafed through a few pages
in two books to find relevant information)
Figure out and DO those backups from each machine