[ale] AOL usage

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Tue Aug 10 12:46:42 EDT 2004

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> The question is: other than AOL corporate crap, are there web
> sites that are only in AOL space and thus not accessible to real web
> users?

disclaimer:  my information is dated since I haven't dealt with people using AOL in a couple of years... :-)

I was under the impression that there was an "AOL space" and then there was the World Wide Web.  I had thought it mostly an obscurification by AOL of the actual address, but had heard that in some instances only those logged into AOL could reach some sites.  So maybe logging in gives you access to a subnet or corporate webspace.  Much like logging into a company's site and seeing your personal itenary/email/messages.

I guess he would lose things like "keyword" searches, but would gain in using something without the overhead that the AOL browser has.

Also I have seen discussion of people using Linux with AOL, so it's apparently possible (maybe just frowned upon).

Preston