[ale] Q: setting up NetScrape 7.1, j2re-1.4.2_05, and RH-7.3

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Sun Aug 8 16:25:10 EDT 2004

On Sunday 08 August 2004 15:45, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I'm banging my head trying to get Netscape to accept and run
> 'applicaion/x-java-vm' attachments. I downloaded the J2RE RPM from Sun and
> it appeared to install without complaint. I also added
> /usr/java/j2re-.../lib/i386/ns610/ to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I link the
> requested files and tried to identify 'libjavaplugin_oji.so' as the
> java-vm helper, but each time get the 'nag' panel asking me to install a
> suitable plugin.
>
> Any help getting this to work would be appreciated.

 You're on the right track with libjavaplugin_oji.so. But what you need is a
symbolic link to that file in the plugins directory for Netscape. If you just
untarred it, plugins will be a sub-directory of your main Netscape directory.
If it's an RPM or something, you may have to dig around to find the plugins
directory that Netscape is using.