[ale] ADSL PCI cards?

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 7 02:18:09 EDT 2004

Christopher Woodfield wrote:

> My current setup at home is an ADSL modem directly connected to a
> bridging firewall and from there to my home network. I recently
> discovered that there are ADSL PCI cards in existence, and the thought
> of eliminating a step in the hardware chain is tempting. From what I
> can tell, there are Linux 2.4 and 2.6 drivers for the Unicorn chipset,
> which is used in the BeWAN product
> (http://www.bewan.com/bewan/products/adsl_modems/adslpcist.php).
>
> Does anyone have experience with these? Is it possible to view stats
> and adjust settings using the Linux driver? At the very least, I would
> like to be able to log line bounces and error rates.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -C

My Zyxel 642 Prestige has a serial port.  After getting the default
password off of the Internet via Google, I was able to minicom into
prompt and look at the settings.  I could reset the device that way
instead of cycling the power.  I've had it running for several years but
haven't had any need to go back into it so don't have it hooked up
anymore.  Can you get into your present ADSL modem via a serial port or
USB serial?
Dow