[ale] Educational Software for a Library

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Tue Aug 3 15:34:07 EDT 2004

Nathan J. Underwood wrote:
> I am googling this, but wanted to toss it out to the list to see if I
> could get any personal experiences on the topic.  My Dad
> works in the IT
> Dept for his local Library, and has been instructed to look
> into using
> Linux for some of their 'floor machines'.  These machines are
> going to
> (initially) be used for children's use, specifically
> educational games
> and filtered Internet.  My Dad is a staunch Windows user (well,
> Microsoft, user, we got started around the MS DOS 2.x days), but is
> going to 'give this Linux thing a shot', so he's asked me for some
> suggestions on educational games for Linux.  The machines
> that they will
> be using are in the 333MHz -> 650MHz range, so nothing fancy
> would be a
> good idea.  I've suggested FC1 with Afterstep (I've tinkered
> around with
> a few other distro's, but I always seem to go back to Red Hat /
> Fedora, and Afterstep is a nice looking, small, and quick Window
> Manager that I'm pretty familiar with).

Look at Freeduc and Debian Jr. for some ideas.

I got a local library to go to LiveCD's when one of the stipulations of use was no one could save files from the internet to the computer (printing was ok, as they charged by the sheet) or alter (add/remove) software.

Debian-NP (Debian Non-Profit) is another choice.  It's based on Morphix and only uses totally free software.

Good luck.