[ale] Encrypting Files

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 3 11:13:48 EDT 2004

Hey all,

      I know I should be googling this, but wanted to ask the list first. I
currently have 7 months worth of credit card statements, checking account
info, a mortgage, a car loan and a home equity loan in my KMyMoney2 package.
Need to add (drastically underfunded) retirement accounts and mutual funds -
but am holding off for now.

      I'm thinking of backing that stuff up to a keythumb device or smartcard
(I used to use hack, urgh MSMoney and never backed up - so know the pain of
re-entering everything).

      So - if you want a copy of sensitive data on removeable media - how do
you go about encrypting it? KMyMoney2 is building in GPG encryption - so that
might be a moot point, but I may want to include other information in a
separate OpenOffice doc that should be encrypted.

      Anyone have an encryption quick 'n easy tutorial?
Bruce