[ale] Linux/OSS Learning Center

Tom & JaVonn pairoftwins at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 2 22:49:24 EDT 2004

Anyone like to help create such a thing?

I've got a shot at inexpensive office space not far from I-85 near Buckhead.  The idea is a place where students of all ages could pay a few bucks and have their way with a room full of PCs, software, books, etc.  Install it, configure it, wipe it out and start over again.  Also network some together, add web servers, FTP, etc.  Socialize and learn.  Remember pizza night at the Linux General Store?

Perhaps one night a week we'd have use of a 10' x 18' room with broadband access.  Lots of PCs on rolling carts would make setup/teardown easy.

What else could there be?

* a lending library of books, magazines, CDs
* a pile of instruction sheets ( image this drive to one of those boxes, then follow the instructions and see how it goes)
* cheap snacks
* used equipment on consignment

So, who'd like to provide talent, advice, materials, hand-holding...

Thanks!

Tom Younker