[ale] X politics

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Apr 30 23:54:17 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 23:31, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Bob Toxen wrote:
>
> > XFree86 on my Slackware systems has crashed only once in 6 years.
> > I can't make the same claim about whatever garbage Red Hat uses.
>
> They used that same XFree86 garbage that Slackware did.

I don't think I have ever had XFree86 crash in the 9 years I've had a
Linux box running it.

Gnome, KDE, and all the other window managers have crashed. Except for
twm.

Good old twm.

Ugly, but damn stable twm.

Nautilus, if it ever gets to the point it needs to (to look and act like
a Mac :) will actually be pretty nice in many respects.

I'm not a KDE user as I was tweaking twm/mwm while KDE was ramping up
and I didn't like the QT license snafu. But I do like the KDE sdetup
with Knoppix. It made me reconsider KDE.

But the window managers still crash occasionally.

Except for twm.

It must be too brain dead to fail. Slackware can load it easily but
RedHat/Fedora/Suse don't. I need to find my old .twmrc.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>