[ale] redhat 9 ramdrive performance problem

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Thu Apr 29 12:32:02 EDT 2004

All,

We are setting up an HP ProLiant DL360 server, 1 Gig of ram, mirrored disks as our Engineering data server.  We had initial problems with the machine "seeing" the CDROM, but now all is well.  My current glitch is with the performance of using a RAMDISK.

I have successfully set up a ramdrive with 500 meg of space, initialized it, and placed the files I need to regularly access.  I have changed the CGI code to look to that directory (/mnt/ramdrive) to access the files.  I am dismayed to find that the performance is actually less than simply using normal disk access.

Previously I have set up an identical configuration on a Dell GX 270, 1 Gig of ram, and noticed a 2X increase in performance.  I measure performance by having the cgi script simply calculate the number of seconds it is running.  Both machines are running redhat 9, both machines are running the identical compiled cgi script.  Index files are identical.

What am I missing here?

John