[ale] FW: Mail service: Scheduled maintenance

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Apr 28 18:01:06 EDT 2004

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 17:28, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Greg wrote:
>>

>>>Although we have not experienced any problems to date, we are taking
>>>preventative measures to ensure trouble-free operation for our
>>>customers.  As a result, all of Speed Factory's Email services will be
>>>unavailable Saturday, May 1, 2004 from 12am to 2am.
>>
>>There is no such thing as ...
>

> Are you sure.  I thought it was the equivalent of midnight.

Positive.  AM stands for ante meridian, PM stands for post meridian.
It's based on the position of the sun as it crosses the meridian, AM is
before it crosses, PM after, basically.  The best you could say would be
12 M, but that could apply to both noon and midnight, since the sun
crosses the meridian twice, giving us the changes am->pm and pm->am.

Astronomy 101 I think.