[ale] ALE TWiki down for a while ** Back up again!

Megan Golding mgolding at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Apr 28 16:20:37 EDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:13:09PM -0400, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> I'm going to have to get someone to give me the Reader's Digest version
> of what the heck the Twiki is.  I've been under a rock at the hospital
> in Louisiana for too long   :\

TWiki is one of several flavors of a wiki web. Wikis are websites that anyone can edit. I like the TWiki variety cause it is more inviting for non-techies (I installed a TWiki at my last job and have something like 80% of the company using it regularly). Check out http://twiki.org. The original wiki is http://c2.com/cgi/wiki.

Wikis are great for intranets where lots of people have stuff to contribute and you're not concerned about the resulting web pages being perfect, saying the "right" thing, or being graphically dense.

Wikis are great for development teams to document their processes. Requirements docs, progress reports, QA details, and such can be kept in a wiki and updated by anyone on the team.

Wikis are wonderful for tech support organizations to keep their collected wisdom.

In a nutshell, a wiki is just a website with an edit button at the bottom -- often a scary thing to managers and usually a wonderful thing to worker bees.

Megan Golding
--
Life with Rachel, one mom's journey: http://www.kalamitykat.com

AIM: meganau  Yahoo!: meggolding  email: mgolding at sdf.lonestar.org