[ale] Wyse Winterm 2310SE Thin Client

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 28 15:56:10 EDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:40:07PM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Anyone used something like this as a Linux thin client?
> I found a supply of them for $19 each.
> www.computersurplusoutlet.com

I actually spent about 1/2 a day working through the issue of these
thin clients. BTW you're looking in the wrong place on the site. Under
the 2 for 1 section they have them 2 for $15.

Flat answer is no. And there is no other answer at this time.

This particular box uses the Citrix ICA 3 protocol for remote desktop
operations. And it's the only protocol that's available for graphical
displays. I looked around and could not find any Open Source  server
that spoke that protocol.

I'm starting to think though that 2 for $15 it may almost (almost!) be
cheap enough to grab as a cheap text terminal.

But back to the task at hand. In terms of WinTerms there are only three
protocols for graphical application communication:

1) ICA. No possibility.
2) X. Great if you have it. Look for the WinTerm 5315 SE.
3) RDP. Interesting. rdesktop has a rudimentary RDP server in it for testing.
   Open Source Software (rdesktop) points to the protocol being figured out.
   A RDP Linux server could be a great boon in this market.

But at the moment, there's no solution for the $7.50 terminal, except as
a terminal. I'm not even sure it has telnet access.

BAJ