[ale] OT geek motorcycle?

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Mon Apr 26 13:02:34 EDT 2004

Stephen Turner wrote:
: i must say we have some well rounded geeks on the list :) part
: chemists part computer geek? :-p well its a little rusty dont know if
: the rust is just on the outside tho, (the engine im using) but i know
: for a fact after i try my experiment with a normal engine it will
: rust the internals. with any luck tho it will be a good alternative
: to gas/electric combo cars and wont take much conversion :D
:
at my father's shop we have some of our racing engines coated on the interior with a porcelain like material.  it's very tough and helps with fluid resistance as the oils/gas(es)/air pass through the assembly.  this is especially nice in the crankcase where you can lose horsepower due to resistance (crank passing through oil).  the coating helps with water injection systems so there is a better mixing in the intake and less chance of rust in the heads should they sit on the shelf for a while.  heat is also reduced in the engine so whether you run a dry block (drag racing) or if you are running something that is heat intensive (circle track, dirt track) it can help with longevity.

preston