[ale] a Google <feature!> OT

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Apr 22 16:11:51 EDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Geoffrey wrote:

> Yu, Jerry wrote:
> > I guess that more arguable is the default.  And, service fee to opt-out?   I
> > was told when I opened the local phone service that simple opt-out is free
> > while I have to pay extra if I want the Bellsouth operator to stop giving
> > away my phone #. One'd think opt-out should save the phone co some money in
> > terms of disk space/operator time/network bandwidth/backup media/print
> > media,
>
> Maybe we're talking about different things, but on my BellSuck Bill:
>
> listing not in directory or directory assistance: $3.50
>
> That is a monthly fee.

That is about right. OTOH, it has cut down on telepests for me, so
represents a worthwhile expense. (FWIW I'm in NC, under HellSouth for
phone service.)

I need to double check, but I seem to recall that I'm also paying for
touch tone, but I think this exchange no longer offers support for rotory
dialing. (And just to brag - my older son used to be able to dial phone
numbers with the handset flash hook. A real treat to watch.)